[clug] backups (linux Digest, Vol 135, Issue 11, message1)

Carlo Hamalainen carlo at carlo-hamalainen.net
Thu Mar 27 08:54:38 MDT 2014

On 27/03/14 12:57, Miles Goodhew wrote:
> The main downside I can think-of right now is that it's _so_
> hands-off, I've usually forgotten how to recover files by the time it
> needs to be done again and I have to re-learn the procedure each time.

I do similar with automated rsync backups but only of important files,
basically $HOME and the output of "dpkg -l".

But I'd like to make a proper recovery DVD (or USB stick). Some
requirements:

* Backs up grub, MBR, handling any EFI weirdness.
* Backs up the partition table, including LVM.
* Understands encrypted partitions inside the LVM.
* Has a one-click recovery process that restores *everything*, leaving a
bootable system.

I used to use Mondorescue. Is this still the best bet?

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net