[clug] backups (linux Digest, Vol 135, Issue 11, message1)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 05:57:48 MDT 2014

Paul/All,

>                 This month, we'll be talking about backups.

  As may be evident by now, I couldn't come to the meeting, but would
still like to stick my oar in about this.
  I set-up an extremely "hands off" backup system for a friend (Non
comp. sci. person - not even I.T.). This basically consisted of daily
rdiff-backup clones of a file store, ageing-out after a year. A second
cron-job would rsync the complete versioned-backup directory to an
off-site machine.
  It's worked remarkably well with no hardware outages and only two
user-error file recoveries needing only to roll-back the current day's
changes (which, IIRC is just a file-copy w/ rdiff-backup).

  The main downside I can think-of right now is that it's _so_
hands-off, I've usually forgotten how to recover files by the time it
needs to be done again and I have to re-learn the procedure each time.

M0les.

--
Miles Goodhew,
Executive Computer Scientist