[clug] how to use traceroute (now: iinet performance)

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Jun 24 20:05:35 MDT 2014

On 06/25/14 10:49, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> On 06/25/14 10:28, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 25/06/14 09:31, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>>> I used it before to see what is going on with routing. However, there is
>>> something going
>>> on with iinet recently, and a download test from ftp.iinet.net.au ran at
>>> around 50k/s for
>>> a line sync of 6-7Mb/s.
>>>
>>> I did a 'traceroute ftp.iinet.net.au' and it went all the way to 30
>>> hops. I added '-m 255'
>>> and it still went all the way. Looks like some kind of loop between
>>> 203.0.178.32 (ftp.iinet...)
>>> and 203.215.4.197 (no DNS). It is still doing this now.
>>>
>>> I find this unusual but maybe I do not understand how it works and why
>>> this is acceptable.
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain why this is so and is this normal?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> --
>>> Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)
>>

>> For your purposes you'll probably find tcptraceroute more useful
>> (instead of ICMP tracerouting).
>> e.g. tcptraceroute -n 255 ftp.iinet.net.au
>> will test the route used for tcp packets, maximum of 255 hops, using the
>> device and gateway from your routing table. You can specify the gateway
>> with -g and the interface with -1. By default it uses the IPV from your
>> routing table, IPV4 can be forced with -4, IPV6 with -6.
>>
>> For the purpose of getting a realistic measure of network performance
>> may I suggest you use the tests from M-Labs (Open Source code):-
>> http://www.measurementlab.net/tests
>>
>> The most useful in your case is Network Diagnostic Test:-
>> http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/ndt
>> NOTE: it requires java to use the online version. The downloadable CLI
>> version is:-
>> http://code.google.com/p/ndt/source/
>>
>> To test the last mile of your broadband use Network Path and Application
>> Diagnostics:-
>> http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/npad
>>
>> To test from within a LAN use the WRT-based router tool:-
>> http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/bismark
>>
>> To test for application traffic shaping:-
>> http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/glasnost
>>
>> To test for network transparency (ISP shaping/throttling):-
>> http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/shaperprobe
>>
>> To perform reverse tcptracerouting from selected endpoints:-
>> http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/reverse_traceroute
>>
>> To test your DNS performance try the DNS Benchmark tool - workbench.
>>> From memory you use a SUSe distro - it's probably in your repository,
>> it's in Debian's:-
>> https://code.google.com/p/namebench/
>>

>> Kind regards
>
> Thanks Scott,
>
> tcptraceroute showed that all is well.
>
> My issue was that a download from iinet (my ISP) site was running at less than 10% of
> the sync speed (which itself is low around 6Mb/s).
>
> After midnight the speed picked up to full sync, but this morning it is again slowly going down.
>
> Fetching http://ftp.iinet.net.au/test100MB.dat
>      over 1h yesterday evening
> [...]

Adding a record of how iinet ADSL performs now (note that I do not dare fetch the 100MB file,
this is the 10MB one):

$ wget http://ftp.iinet.net.au/test10MB.dat
--2014-06-25 12:00:34--  http://ftp.iinet.net.au/test10MB.dat
Resolving www (www)... 192.168.3.7
Connecting to www (www)|192.168.3.7|:18080... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 10000000 (9.5M) [chemical/x-mopac-input]
Saving to: 'test10MB.dat.1'

2014-06-25 12:03:32 (55.1 KB/s) - 'test10MB.dat.1' saved [10000000/10000000]

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)