[clug] how to use traceroute (now: iinet performance)

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 19:57:46 MDT 2014

On 25/06/14 10:49, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> On 06/25/14 10:28, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 25/06/14 09:31, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>>> I used it before to see what is going on with routing. However, there is
>>> something going
>>> on with iinet recently, and a download test from ftp.iinet.net.au ran at
>>> around 50k/s for
>>> a line sync of 6-7Mb/s.

<snipped>

>> Kind regards
>
> Thanks Scott,
>
> tcptraceroute showed that all is well.

It's useful to routing issues, not particularly useful for analysing
latency and throughput issues.
IMNSHO "download" tests are useless as they don't translate into data
useful for measuring broadband performance.

> My issue was that a download from iinet (my ISP) site was running at
> less than 10% of
> the sync speed (which itself is low around 6Mb/s).

http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/ndt  will show you realistic
download speeds (latency plus transfer instead of just transfer). It'll
also show where any problem exists e.g. with Vodafone (Vodafail?) you'll
see the problem is latency, and it's caused by the check to see whether
a cached copy exists within their proxy, and with the compression
processes they use.
It's sometimes the cause of routing/throttling used for specific file
types and/or sources (CDN servers and QOS) - other times you'll find the
problem is with the backhaul routing e.g. DSLAM loads, also signal loss
due to loss to earth through moisture on cable joints etc. (not all
backhauls are over optical fibre).

> After midnight the speed picked up to full sync, but this morning it is
> again slowly going down.

Glad to hear the problem is resolved. I keep hearing good things about
iiNet.

> Fetching http://ftp.iinet.net.au/test100MB.dat
>     over 1h yesterday evening
>     11m at 8am today
>     20m now (10:30)
> Should take 2-3 minutes at my (slow) sync speed, which it did at around
> 00:30 this morning.
>
> Any other iinet users here?

Sadly not me. <5Km from the GPO, no ADSL available, poor 3G, patchy 4G.

> cheers
>
> --
> Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)

Kind regards