[clug] Fedora 20 upgrade has broken NFS???

Randall Crook rcrook at vtown.com.au
Thu Jun 12 21:07:38 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I just upgraded from Fedora 19 to Fedora 20 and now my favourite editors
refuse to write to nfs mounts.

Bit of a history, I have been running FC19 for about a year with out
issues. I have a nfs mounted share from a Solaris box that holds the
code I maintain. I use gvim, gedit and kate extensively with the files
on this share.

After I upgraded from FC19 to FC20, it seems any editor that messes with
temporary files when writing out to the nfs share fails with permission
or "missing location" errors.

If I fire up a shell I can use touch, echo, cp, mv, and even nano to
create files on the share with out any issues. It seems the advanced
editors are doing some magic that the underlying nfs is not liking.

Some things I have noticed:

the umask is 0022 (Seems fine to me).
the temp files the advanced editors are creating end up with permissions
of 600 (Shouldn't be an issue).
I have messed a lot with the fstab entry for the nfs mount to no avail.
it is currently:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/js   /proto   nfs
rw,_netdev,nolock,sec=sys,vers=3,soft,intr,bg 0 0

I have messed with the sec and lock options as well as read and write
sizes but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have also determined it is on nfs only. ext4, sshfs, cifs all work
fine. Just nfs and advanced editors dont seem to like each other.. I am
hoping someone on here might have some suggestions.

Regards,

Randall Crook.