[clug] Anyone using a Chromebook?

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 00:38:51 MST 2014

On 31/01/14 17:57, steve jenkin wrote:
> I read a piece on ZDnet about using a Chromebook.
>
> He suggested "Chromebooks are for civilians"...
>
> Anyone care to comment or offer war stories?
> --
> Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
> 0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)
> PO Box 48, Kippax ACT 2615, AUSTRALIA
>
> mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin

It's ZDnet, I reserve a health amount of cynicism for their "stories":-
;A - they sensationalise for link baiting purposes (hope they sent you a
free t-shirt) ;p
;B - they consider the opinions of their major advertisers
;C - the reverence is to Chrome OS installed on the Chromebook
;D - even if "civilian" means "not military", it's a guess as "military
standards" is a very broad brush and Google certainly do provide bespoke
SOEs
;E - is the writer an expert on "military specs"? I doubt it, it reads
more like pandering to a major site advertiser in light of major
purchases of Chromebook by schools and companies.

That's all the alphabet I know :(

Kind regards