[clug] Offline snooping

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jan 30 20:21:21 MST 2014

On 31 Jan 2014, at 13:17 , steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Are you a _target_?
>
> If so, to whom?? What do they stand to gain by hacking _you_??

The world of electronic intelligence gathering has grown far past the trivial issues such as “who is a target.”

Pervasive surveillance is not about “targets” anymore. They’re not hunting someone they already know to be a criminal, they're trying to filter out the things they’re interested in finding.

They want to collect “all the data” and then interpret it at their leisure. It’s no longer about “am I a target” it’s, “am I a victim.”

Alex