[clug] Offline snooping

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 19:35:02 MST 2014

On 31/01/14 13:17, steve jenkin wrote:
> On 30/01/2014, at 9:11 PM, Keith Sayers wrote:
>
>> Would anyone know anything about this?  I had imagined that
>> because I was using a Linux operating system I was more secure than
>> with Windows - am I being naive?
>>
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25743074
>

> Keith,

<snipped>

> As well, I've had 10-20 phone calls from an Indian call centre
> trying to scam me. Not sure what the scam was, I never allowed them
> to "close the deal". It may have only been a $175 charge on my
> credit card, or a lot more.
>
> They pretended to be from Telstra Bigpond ("your Internet access is
> about to be cut-off"), from Windows Technical Support ("you have
> some malware on your computer") and from somewhere else in
> Microsoft. ("you have to install an update").

My Mum gets those and it's obvious through feedback from other relatives
in Melbourne that the scammers work through the phone book. She takes
great delight in pretending to run Windows and playing the senile old
lady (she's not senile) - the process requires many "reboots" and
feigned confusion about how to open a command window to run their bulls*
tests to confirm the reason her computer was "detected" as "running
slow", and what a "browser" is (so she can download the remote access
software). It results in the scammers becoming abusive (they actually
yell) when it's apparent the stupid old lady isn't going to yield a
return in the time allotted to each phish. :)

Act very concerned, then tell them you have someone at the door and put
the phone down while you watch the clock and see how long it takes for
the call to chew up their VOIP credit or patience to run out. As long as
it's cost effective the scams will continue :)

<snipped>

> cheers steve
>

> some other useful links.
>
> Mandiant APT1: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APT1>
>
> The Chinese agency responsible for Mandiant's APT1 attacks operated
> over years and years with a staff of ~1,000. They carefully choose
> their targets and sought very specific information. They were a
> "Nation State" actor doing industrial espionage (probably with a
> focus on high-tech and military equipment).
>
> Ars on "BadBios" - specifically targeted at a high-profile security
> researcher using subtle "Covert Channels".
>
> <http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/>

A reasonable overview, from 2012, on Cyber Threats given to US