[clug] Network UPS Tools installation

Craig Small csmall at enc.com.au
Sun Aug 24 05:56:10 MDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 12:30:41PM +1000, George at Clug wrote:
> Have you had experience in installing UPS for Linux ?  I would be
> interested in any information you may have on how to get NUT working
> with a UPS.  It seems that I may now be able to achieve this, however
> finding complete installation instructions has not be easy. In fact I
> have not been able find any.
I have an Eaton (3S 700 I think) on a Debian system. It's connected
using the usbhid driver and generally works fine.

Debian has rules to set the group access correctly, found in
/lib/udev/rules.d/52-nut-usbups.rules so its a matter of just using the
standard boilerplate type configuration and away you go.
For example /etc/nut/ups.conf is just
[myups]
        driver = usbhid-ups
        port = auto
        desc = "Main UPS"

> The main issue I was experiencing is that the upsdrvctl was unable to
> own the usb port into which the UPS was connected.
I don't have such things, the udev rules in the nut-server package
does it for me.

ls -l /dev/bus/usb/009
total 0
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 1024 Jul 15 21:49 001
crw-rw-r-- 1 root nut  189, 1028 Aug 24 21:52 005

009:005 is the USB ID of the UPS.
This is with NUT version 2.7.2

 - Craig
(You wouldn't believe the number of times I almost typed USP UBS)
--
Craig Small (@smallsees)   http://enc.com.au/       csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux           http://www.debian.org/   csmall at : debian.org