[clug] Network UPS Tools installation

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sat Aug 23 20:30:41 MDT 2014

    Hi,

Have you had experience in installing UPS for Linux ?  I would be
interested in any information you may have on how to get NUT working
with a UPS.  It seems that I may now be able to achieve this, however
finding complete installation instructions has not be easy. In fact I
have not been able find any.

If you have not as yet set up UPS for your servers (home or business),
and would like to, please let me know as I would like to share the
information that I have gained.

My goal is to set up UPS on Debian Wheezy and CentOS 6.6/7.0.

I have two UPS devices, one an Eaton E5, the other is a KStar UPS.

After much frustration, reading, etc, the installation is finally at
this stage where the ups driver control can connect to the UPS (this
is kind like the fist step in the process, but has been challenging to
get to this point)
# /usr/local/ups/sbin/upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.2
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.38 (2.7.2)
USB communication driver 0.32
Using subdriver: MGE HID 1.33

The main issue I was experiencing is that the upsdrvctl was unable to
own the usb port into which the UPS was connected.
http://www.crn.com/recipes/blogs/199000818/linux-ups-without-tears.htm
[1] explained how to set up the hotplug foder in Debian.
# mkdir -p /etc/hotplug/usb/
# ls -al /etc/hotplug/usb/libhidups
# cd  /home/[username]/Downloads/nut-2.7.2/scripts/hotplug/
# cp libhidups.in /etc/hotplug/usb/libhidups
# cp libhid.usermap /etc/hotplug/usb/libhid.usermap
# chmod 0755 /etc/hotplug/usb/libhidups
# chmod 0644 /etc/hotplug/usb/libhid.usermap
# ls -al /dev/bus/usb/002/003
crw-rw-r-T 1 root nut 189, 130 Aug 24 21:54 /dev/bus/usb/002/003

Links:
------
[1]
http://www.crn.com/recipes/blogs/199000818/linux-ups-without-tears.htm