[clug] Ubuntu 12.10 video resume from sleep problem on Dell Optiplex 960

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 02:32:47 MDT 2014

On 06/08/14 21:33, Paul Rands wrote:
> Here we go for round 2.
>
> On 6 Aug 2014, at 7:14 pm, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Sorry. Not received. It may be stripped out by the list manager.
>>
>> Try posting it at http://paste.debian.net/ or similar (if you wouldn't
>> mind) and post the link.
>>
> http://paste.debian.net/113926
>
> For the record, there are 2 LCDs attached to the computer, and I get the same video issue with single or dual displays.

Thanks.

Using modesetting, framebuffer and intel modules
Output VGA1 using 1920x1080 at 60.0
Output HDMI1 using 1360x768 at 60.0

Xorg.0.log looks fine. (I imagine your boot is very slow, hence your use
of hibernate/suspend - using an xorg.conf would speed things up
considerably - as not starting service early that aren't needed/needed
until later. A good boot should be *faster* than resume from hibernate
or suspend).

Video hardware is built-in dual-outlet Intel 4 Series Chipset Integrated
Graphics Controller

Check your performance with:-
$ export vblank_mode=0
$ glxgears

In full-screen you should get >715fps (the first line gets around the
vertical refresh limitation).

Check 3D hardware support with:-
$ glxinfo | grep direct

-------------8<---------------->8-----------------------------

The first thing I'd look at as the cause of your "sleep" (suspend or
hibernate?) problem is your KVM. Often the cause of many ACPI problems -
particularly the wireless KVMs.

Is the video failure on resume consistent?

If so replace the KVM with a real keyboard and moust, and a direct
connection with monitors and video card - and try "sleep" and resume a
couple of times.

You say the same problem occurred with another Linux (Mint) so we can
probably rule out your custom kernel as the cause.

Try without the KVM, and if that doesn't solve the problem we'll look
for known problems (if that fails we'll modify the resume routine to
reload the video).

If you can get the video to fail on resume please do the following and
paste the outputs into an email:-
$ lsmod > ~/video_fail.txt
$ sudo cat /var/log/syslog | tail -n 100 > ~/fail_log.txt

Kind regards