[clug] Back in the Linux fold and also a file manager question

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 20:39:20 MDT 2014

On 20/04/14 09:53, Paul Rands wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I moved back to the Linux fold a few weeks ago, and also back onto this
> mailing list too.
>
> On Friday I upgraded the PC to Ubuntu 14.04 and I'm really happy with the
> performance. Nice and snappy compared to 13.10, and a lot less buggy. That
> said I ran into problems with the software centre stalling when installing
> and the printers installation wizard locking up installing drivers. A
> quick move the Terminal got things working in no time.
>
> Despite using various flavours of Linux over the years (starting with Red
> Hat then Mandrake in 2002, and then onto a heap of Ubuntu distros), I
> still consider myself a bit of a newbie at it all.
>
> After becoming accustomed to using my Mac for a number of years, the only
> thing I am really missing is colour-coding files in the file manager.
> Nautilus doesn't support it, and I can't even put emblems on things
> anymore. I resorted to installing Marlin the other night, which does have
> it as a feature, however it's a little glitchy. Does anyone here have any
> suggestions for a GUI file manager that supports being able to colour code
> filenames and looks similar to Nautilus?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I believe GNOME and Nautilus also support Open Desktop formats - so
should be able to do that same things Dolphin/Konqueror do in KDE -
which is support custom icons for directories (and files). That includes
"custom colours"[*1].
Are you sure those functions are unsupported in GNOME? Have you fully
explored Nautilus themes?

Kind regards

[1*] http://ge.tt/9pqw0Gc1/v/0