[clug] How to Retrieving Android Backup from Google?

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Sat Apr 19 17:17:59 MDT 2014

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with what should be quite a
simple task which has me stumped. I've been unable to find directions on
how to do this with a few searches. I've found a lot of dubious sites
flogging backup software. May be I'm not hitting the correct search
terms. More likely I suspect there's just too much junk information out
there when it comes to backups.

Anyway, a friend has their backed up to Google using gmail account and
wishes to retrieve a file from this back up without restoring it to
their phone or alternating their phone in anyway, ie how do you retrieve
a android back up file from google/gmail?

Note: for various reasons we don't want to touch the phone or add any
apps to it. Mainly because we don't wish to risk deleting or trashing
any of the files.

Bonus points if you can tell me what the format of the back up file is.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff.