[clug] PATA ZIF adaptor for 1.8" drive

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 25 08:53:25 CEST 2013

I recently upgraded/replaced the 80GB hard disk in an original Apple
MacBook Air with an SSD (Solid State Device) and I/we forgot to backup
the Linux partition/slice before removing the drive.

Back in those days, Apple (and some others) used PATA/IDE for the
"disk" (block device) interface, but used a ribbon cable with a Zero
Insertion Force (ZIF) connector, presumably to mechanically isolate
any vibration to/from the "device". Other 1.8" PATA/IDE drives used
the more standard dual rows of pins that are also used on most 2.5"
PATA/IDE drives.

Anyway, before I go and purchase something from eBay etc., I was
wondering if anyone, perchance, had an appropriate adaptor that I
could borrow in order to recover the (now old) Linux partition?
Maybe for a day or so?

Many thanks,

Bob Edwards.