[clug] Adobe Password Breach

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Tue Nov 5 02:39:23 MST 2013

So, I'm not a pro at this whole security thing.

How do I find out if my email and password hash in on the list that adobe
have failed to protect. I don't think it would be, but I'd like to be sure,
maybe from years ago and I've forgotten? I knew I was on linked in's breach
and acted accordingly.

Has anyone checked? How would you check the 3-des hash? Is there a linux
command line that 3-des hashes a password so you can match?

Yeah I try to use an original and unique password but the thing about being
unique is that you've got in common with everyone else. :-(

http://7habitsofhighlyeffectivehackers.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/can-someone-be-targeted-using-adobe.html

Does anyone have a link to best practices with passwords? This seems to
change every other week. Now we're all "hedge moon voodoo pancake" rather
than the previously recommended "s3cr3tp4ssw0rd!" but given we all have
100+ passwords what is the best way to cope with that, given you don't want
them on your phone which you will lose or be stolen and sends all the info
via apple/google to the nsa anyway where you're at the mercy of their most
corruptible employee at best and we shouldn't undersell the levels of
incompetence on display. And you will need them from different computers.

ssh to your personal server and keep them gpg encrypted is the best idea I
have, but eh, I'm not a security guy.