[clug] Migrating Evolution

Rodney rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Mon Nov 4 19:33:54 MST 2013

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:00:06 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 19:16:40 +1100
> From: Keith Goggin <keith.goggin at bigpond.com>
> To: CLUG List <linux at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: Re: [clug] Migrating Evolution
>
> Hi again,
>
> OK having asked my stupid question I'll try a more sensible one.
>
> This migration involved not only a large contact list but also a very
> large number of emails. From the mb2md man page usage section I learned
> that I could convert an individual file from mbox to mdir with output to
> /home/blah/Maildir using
>
>      mb2md -s /home/blah/.evolution/mail/local/inbox
>
> on the old box which could be copied to
>
>      /home/blah/.local/share/evolution/mail/local
>
> on the new box and that worked OK.
>
> Then I tried to convert all my old mail directories of which there were
> many using
>
>      mb2md -s /home/blah/.evolution/mail/local -R
>
> and that seemed to work too but on closer inspection I had replicated
> the rich directory structure of the old system but most of those
> directories were empty?
>
> Again any help much appreciated.

AFAIK this is a result of the folder structure that is implemented by mdir
apps.

The contents of *mail* sub-directories go into a *file* sub-directory having a
name like

/home/blah/.local/share/evolution/mail/.local-mail

Note the hidden directory, at the same level as the main mail directory and
which might also be missed in backup routines if you are not backing up the
whole home directory.

Rod