[clug] GNU/Linux Evolution Tree - Gentoo

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 19:48:27 MDT 2013

On 2 November 2013 12:41, Logan McLintock <u4955237 at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi Clugians,
>
> I'm sure you have all seen this, but how cool! You can click on the names and it takes you to the website - a great way of choosing your next distro lol
>
> PS. Has anyone used Gentoo? Is it worth the hassle, because I like the idea of building things on your machine. Also, people say Gentoo has poor security, but his should be ok if behind a good router?

I used to use Gentoo, but am now using Exherbo (which can be
considered a "spiritual successor").  Admittedly, my preference for it
was partially because I _like_ to tinker with my computer (though it's
a hassle on my laptop, as I usually only use it when going back to my
folks' place for Christmas, and thus need to do a massive update...).

As for security... there's Gentoo Hardened (which IIRC was once touted
as being more secure than other distros), and you can probably go and
install SELinux, AppArmor, etc. ... so _by default_ it may be less
secure, but by default it doesn't have much more than
kernel+gcc+coreutils *shrug*