[clug] OT: Passwords to verify identity

Travis Simon tsimon at gmail.com
Wed May 15 22:08:44 MDT 2013

Do you use that password to login to their service? Or is it just a
verification password?

Because if you use it to log in, I would say it's kind of a big deal
because your login becomes vulnerable to social engineering attacks,
employee mistakes and malicious employee activities. I believe those types
of attacks are much more common than serious hacking of vulnerabilities.

For example, the first thing I would do is try to figure out your birthday,
as that's most likely the first piece of information they are going to ask
for - so I might send you an email saying I'm doing a study of Linux use in
Canberra, and I need some demographic information to present to the
government for some open source initiatives. Could you please send me the
distribution you use, the number of installations you have, how long you've
been using Linux, your suburb (for demographic purposes) and your birthday.
I would then call up Pacific Internet (which I got from googling zipworld
ISP, but I could just keep trying until I found it), and explain that I,
Andrew Steele, lost my password, and could they reset it for me?

However, what is the damage done if your login is compromised? I could
screw around with your account, but that's probably not a big deal. The
main thing I would be worried about would be the ISP storing your credit
card in plain text. That said, your bank will hopefully have some
protections on illegal activity, and should insure you against fraudulent
activity. Do they have some sort of web portal for their service? I would
have a look through it from the eyes of an intruder and see if there is any
sensitive information.

In short - yes, it's an obvious attack vector, but it's probably not a huge
risk as the damage from a breach would likely be minimal(?).