[clug] rsync question

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Sat Jun 22 04:22:36 MDT 2013

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> I am moving data between two arrays. I use this command
> 	rsync -aSv --progress rsync://root@e7/root/data1/ /data1

You should probably have "H" in there too; preserves hardlinks.

> to pull the data from 'e7' to a local disk (both arrays mounted on /data1 and
> 'root' is a module that exports e7:/, created just for this purpose).
>
> Not all the data seems to arrive. The copy did not complete but one of the
> large
> subdirectories shows less files in the target (71k) than the source (82k).
> Does rsync copy full directories in order or can some files arrive later?

The implementation has changed significantly since I knew that code well.
I *thought* it would do full directories, however.

> Sourcing as 'root at e7' should give me read access to everything - right?

Not necessarily - but probably.  Extended attributes can also screw you
up.  And selinux (which I'm assuming you've disabled).

> Also, am I correct that rsync does *not* encrypt the data, and since the
> two arrays can do ~500MB/s I should expect the wire to be the limiting
> factor? The only CPU work is the checksum calcs.

Through rsyncd, yes, it shouldn't be encrypted.  It will probably still be
CPU limitted, 'though; the per-file heavy checksum is still pretty heavy!
Try it yourself, if you like; time (md5sum < bigfile >/dev/null).  My
machine caps out at about 380MB/s for that.

Peter