[clug] [OT] The Register is trying to crowfund $100-$250K for indep study on NBN

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Jun 20 01:31:53 MDT 2013

Hi all,

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:56:19 +1000 Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> Remember, we are talking about $29BN+ - that's more than
> $29,000,000,000.
>
> I think that most people (including myself) just can't conceive what
> an enormous amount of money that really is. Is it really a good value
> proposition?

Just some other numbers for comparison:

"Australia will likely need an investment of $100 billion for electricity
generation and network infrastructure in the next 10 years, including for
renewables, according to an estimate by the Federal Minister for
Resources and Energy Martin Ferguson." - 2010
http://www.rebuildingthenation.com.au/energy/renewing-and-expanding-electricity-infrastructure/

"Australian governments spend more than $7 billion maintaining and
renewing the road estate every year." - 2011
www.infrastructure.org.au/DisplayFile.aspx?FileID=691

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr at canb.auug.org.au