[clug] Is anyone willing to install Kubuntu for me? For a fee?

Paul C. Leopardi paul.leopardi at anu.edu.au
Fri Jul 26 03:21:30 MDT 2013

At Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:13:02 +1000 Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> Good news, everyone!
>
> I worked through this with Paul this evening, and I just followed
through
> the prompts in the Kubuntu 13 installer and it installed correctly.  We
made
> it keep the existing partitions and resize the existing Ubuntu install
down,
> and it worked.  Paul has logged in and was using it happily when I left

Thanks to Paul Wayper for the successful installation.

I must say it was both a wow and a hmm moment for me, though. I still
wonder why a clean install of Kubuntu 13.04 does not work on this
hardware. What partitioning is it trying to set up and why doesn't it
work? Also, why didn't manual partitioning work?

Finally, what setup and I left with on the disk? As far as I can tell, the
disk has a GPT file system with an EFI partition. I am not sure if the EFI
partition is being used, and I am not sure of the contents of the MBR
either. If someone can point me to correct doco on how to tell whether EFI
is being used in boot, and how to display the MBR, I will do this and copy
to this list. For example, is this procedure still correct with GPT disks:
http://www.miljan.org/main/2007/09/05/easy-way-to-read-mbr/ ? Is this
paper still correct? http://digitalforensics.ch/nikkel09.pdf

> Another triumph for the hard-working people putting together distro
> installers, I have to say!

And some brilliance from Paul Wayper.
Thanks, and best regards
--