[clug] Is anyone willing to install Kubuntu for me? For a fee?

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 05:41:52 MDT 2013

On 24/07/13 21:12, Paul C. Leopardi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have an ASUS eee PC 1215B laptop that was running Kubuntu 12.04 in dual-boot
> until I decided to upgrade to 13.04 a few weeks ago. The upgrade failed so I
> decided on a clean install. The only problem is, the machine uses EFI boot and
> the default installation of Kubuntu 13.04 cannot cope properly with this. It
> spits out an error message and crashes at "grub install dummy".
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1176674
>
> I tried various variations of the EFI installation instructions at
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/91484/how-to-boot-ubuntu-from-efi-uefi
> and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
> and have found that nothing works as literally stated - usually there is a
> typo, or someone has left out a step (i.e. exactly when do I need to chroot?)
> or there is a bug in one of the tools (e.g. Boot Repair has this bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/boot-repair/+bug/1064323 ).
>
> I also tried installing Kubuntu 12.10 and openSUSE 12.4. Each of these has
> their own bugs and complicated sets of instructions.
>
> I then tried going through our IT people at MSI here at ANU, but they can't
> help because it is my own laptop and is not under warranty.
>
> So, in short, I have spent far too much time on this problem, with no luck.
>
> Is there someone willing to spend the time to properly install Kubuntu (or
> possibly openSUSE)  on my laptop? How much would you consider charging for
> this service? Or are we still in the good-old-days of Linux installfests?
>
> The host name of my laptop is "notturno" and I would like to keep this.
> For Kubuntu, I would like the user "leopardi" to have sudo permission.
> For openSUSE, I would like the user "leopardi" to have supervisor permissions
> and the same password as "root".
> All the best, Paul

Sorry - Kubuntu is outside my comfort zone (I know it's somewhat
Debian).....

Do you have an option on your machine to install in BIOS mode instead of
EFI mode?

Have you tried continuing the install despite the GRUB install failure,
and then used a live CD  from a Debian-based disto that does support EFI
to install GRUB?