[clug] zfs on linux

Richard C richard_c at tpg.com.au
Mon Jul 22 18:44:42 MDT 2013

Chef Chef,

Other than a quick "I told you so...", I'll skip on to asking about how
much RAM your server has? ZFS is renown for sucking up RAM in vast amounts
(relative to other filesystems). The FreeNAS peeps seem to think that 4-8GB
is a (barely) working minimum, and then add more for any application or ZFS
feature, you may be running [1]. I imagine that the Linux port is somewhat
more greedy.

Your server is in danger of having more RAM than disk (not wrong per se,
but certainly unorthodox).

Does btrfs have enough of the feautures that you want?

Richard

[1] http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Hardware_Recommendations