[clug] Ubuntu 13.04 customisation

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 04:46:58 MDT 2013

OK, I'll admit I'm slow this time.

Seems only a small change from last time, but things are certainly
more "sparkly" for want of a better word. I've also decided that I'll
give Unity a decent crack this time before I take my bat and ball head
back to some gnome classic variant....

So to this end, I embarked upon my usual customisation (FFM being the
main one) and alas alack! it didn't work. Seems that we now have to
use gsettings and dconf-editor over gconfigtool-2, still these seem
worthy replacements. This means that now I have to do this:

# fix window button positions and focus
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout
menu:minimize,maximize,spacer,close
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences focus-mode sloppy
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences auto-raise false
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences
action-double-click-titlebar toggle-shade

I'm also still to "get" the one menubar to rule them all UI so do this:

# remove global menu. (I'm an old, and used to my ways)
apt-get remove --purge appmenu-*
apt-get remove --purge firefox-globalmenu thunderbird-globalmenu

Although I now see that treeview (little triangle beside folder names)
in Nautilus^H^H^H^H^H^H"Files" is gone, vamoosed, kaput. Or at least
disabled. Haven't yet figured out how to enable this again.

Hrm...

On the big plus side, the nouveau nvidia driver is working ace with my
now ageing GeForce GT 130M, no more nvidia binary blob and the whacky
problems it caused from time to time.