[clug] Dumb user question: 2+TB disks, MBR & BIOS...

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Wed Jan 2 04:57:48 MST 2013

On 01/02/2013 10:42 PM, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> Can you quantify how much faster it is? Just curious as I have a few 1Tb
> drives with a single ext4 partition, used for backups etc.

I'm no expert and I've never benchmarked it personally, but I'd imagine
the slowdown, if any, would be insignificant.

Having said that, if you're using something like RAID5 you might want to
go partition-less, or align your partition (parted will do this for you
automatically, fdisk will not).

There are other things you can do to make your (non-ssd) drive access
faster, like putting your most accessed files on a partition at the
beginning of the disk where access is faster. If you swap out, put your
swap partition here (but seriously, get more ram).

-c