[clug] Dumb user question: 2+TB disks, MBR & BIOS...

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 00:24:32 MST 2013

On 2 January 2013 16:48, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> I read a piece by Seagate that MBR (Master Boot Record) partitioned
> disks only have 32-bits for sector size, so for 512by sectors, maxx out
> at "2.1TB" (2TiB or 2^41by).

As others have already confirmed, that is true.  MBR has outlived its
usefulness.

>  - If you want to partition the disk you need to use GPT
>    (GUID Partition Table)

True, and this isn't a problem unless you like to use fdisk.  fdisk
doesn't know GPT.  gdisk or gparted will get you there.

My understanding is you also need to use grub-2, if you are a grub
user.  Grub 1 doesn't know GPT.

> Questions:
>  - anyone built any desktop systems with a 3/4TB drive?
>  - booted from a large drive? Tips & Tricks?

Not a desktop system, but I recently upgraded my little file server to
2x 3TB Western Digital "Green" drives.  It does boot off one of those.

> I guess I'm wondering if modern Desktops and white-box servers support
> UEFI, rather than BIOS.

My experience suggests yes.  The motherboard in my server is about 2
years old and it had no issues with booting the drive.

Cheers,
BJ