[clug] Linux and smart phone

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 17 22:37:17 MST 2013

Hi All,

I posted an email about 'wechat' to this list and that has prompted me
to think about replacing my wife's Nokia 6220 GPS receiver phone with a
smart phone. I don't really like touch screens, because their life
expectancy is 18 months, I don't like clouds for personal data, because
I'd rather have my personal details on my own compuers, and I don't like
having to pay to be connected to the internet when I an use my home wifi
to load maps and navigate for free with a GPS receiver. However, I guess
I should start catching up with the world (bah hubug .. ;--))

I have looked at Ubuntu Phone and Ubuntu with Android
(http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone and
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android respectively). It looks to me that
Ubuntu phone is still being developedand not ready for the public but
maybe the Unbuntu on an Android phone is an option for now and I can
upgrade to Ubuntu phone when it comes available.

Has anyone looked into either or both of these options? If so, I would
love to hear your experiences.

Thanks in advance for any information.

John