[clug] February CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Mon Feb 11 15:00:03 MST 2013

	CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group Meeting - 14th February 2013

Date:		14th February 2013 (Second Thursday of the month)

Time:		19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

Speaker:	Paul Wayper

Abstract:	Parallelising veyepar - getting the conference videos
		processed.

		The process of taking the raw video files and
		transcoding them into usable video is done by
		veyepar.Unfortunately, the promises I'd been given about
		how it could be distributed to multiple render machines
		turned out to be more wishful thinking than actual
		deployed code.So what does one do?Write code, obviously!

		In this talk I'll show how I made veyepar's rendering
		system into something that could be scaled across
		multiple machines.In the process I'll talk about some of
		the traps of parallelising even seemingly "trivially
		parallel" code, and ways in which the system could be
		improved.

Venue:		Room N101
		Computer Science and Information Technology Building
		North Road
		The Australian National University

		See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

Food/drink:	Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
		about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
		want some.

If you would like to give a talk at a future meeting, please email me.