[clug] Problem getting a working IPv6 connection

Simon Fowler sjjf at himi.org
Fri Feb 1 20:04:55 MST 2013

On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 12:52:55PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 11:52:49PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> I'm not sure I properly understand what your setup.
> I 'think' you have an IPV4 connection to a modem (that only supports
> IPV4) which you've bridged to your server which is running a dualstack,
> and which provides IPV6 to your LAN.

I'm using my ADSL modem in bridge mode - RFC 1483. This presents the
ADSL connection as an ethernet-alike link which a PPP daemon can then
establish a PPPoE connection over. I'm running the PPP/PPPoE
software on my Linux server.

Running over the PPP connection is both my fully functional IPv4
connection, and my non-functional IPv6 connection - both provided
directly by my ISP.

So it goes something like this (apologies for my ascii art):

int. +------+ eth +-----+ adsl +---+
-----|Server|-----|modem|------|ISP|
net  +------+     +-----+      +---+
        |          PPPoE         |
        +- - - - - - - - - - - - +

The dashed line is the bridged connection to the ISP, going through
the modem. The modem doesn't participate in any of the IP level
connections.

> Where are you testing - the server or LAN clients?
> How are you resolving DNS?

I've been testing primarily from the server, though also from a few
machines on my internal network (to make sure I've got the IPv6
routing right for the internal net). DNS is being resolved through
bind running on the server, which forwards the queries to my ISPs
DNS servers. At the moment I'm not using IPv6 for DNS, but as I said
I can do a AAAA lookup just fine via IPv4.

> Are you running a stock /etc/hosts on the server?
> eg.:-
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost
> ipv4 address	$hostname

> ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Yeah, I've got a pretty bog-standard hosts file in place.

> Is the somewhat dated info at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6 any help?

No, not really, and neither is google (the CLUG archive of my first post
came up on the first page of a couple of searches I just did, so I'm
not optimistic that my google-fu is strong enough for this).

I guess worst case scenario I'll just have to replace my modem with
one that /does/ support IPv6. But I really hate finding things like
this where it looks like it should be working, but for some reason
it isn't.

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x96263cef