[clug] Problem getting a working IPv6 connection

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 18:52:55 MST 2013

On 02/02/13 07:50, Simon Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 11:52:49PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> The only thing I can think of is your DNS settings.
>> A quick check is to see if you can ping an IPV6 address like
>> 2001:4860:b002::68 (Google)

Sorry that should have been:-
$ ping6 2404:6800:4006:803::100e

(sleep-posting)

>> If that works, then check your DNS settings - example /etc/resolv.conf:-
>> nameserver 2001:44b8:1::1
>> nameserver 2001:44b8:2::2
>>
> Yeah, I can resolve AAAA records without any problems - it's
> happening via my IPv4 DNS infrastructure, but it definitely works.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Simon
>
> --
> PGP public key Id 0x96263cef
> Homepage: http://himi.org

I'm not sure I properly understand what your setup.
I 'think' you have an IPV4 connection to a modem (that only supports
IPV4) which you've bridged to your server which is running a dualstack,
and which provides IPV6 to your LAN.

Where are you testing - the server or LAN clients?
How are you resolving DNS?

Are you running a stock /etc/hosts on the server?
eg.:-

127.0.0.1	localhost
ipv4 address	$hostname

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback