[clug] Installing debian on a macpro - grub failed

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Mon Dec 16 16:15:35 MST 2013

Hi Logan, Adam, Clug,

EFI ?

iirc macs use (U)EFI rather than bios and don't have a bios compatibility
mode that's much use for installations. Recent fedora works with EFI,
recent ubu too. Not sure about debian
This:
http://dentifrice.poivron.org/laptops/macbookpro8,2/

Suggests it can be done but not with the standard installer. And with a
fair bit of mucking about - caveat I only skimmed it in 10 seconds.

I'd go with the most recent Fedora myself as it's probably what  Matt
Garrett uses nowadays and it's a very solid distro with a large userbase
which maximises your chances of someone else having hit and written
problems they've had and solutions when you hit them.
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/

As always YMMV. Good luck.