[clug] Installing debian on a macpro - grub failed

Adam Baxter voltagex at voltagex.org
Mon Dec 16 15:53:24 MST 2013

*snipped*

> It seems that this new istallation is the only operating system on this
> computer.
> If so, it should be safe to install the GRUB boot loader to the master
> boot record
> of your first hard drive.
> Install the GRUB boot loader to the master boot record? Yes
>
> Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda
> Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed.
> This is a fatal error.
> Continue, continue.
>
> It wouldn't let me continue, and I tried to do GRUB again, so I tried to
> do the following with no idea what I was doing!!!!!!!
>
> Install the LILO boot loader on a hard disk.
> LILO installation target: /dev/sdb: Master Boot Record
> Do you want to add the large-memory option? Yes
> Do you want to convert boot and root options? Yes
> Do you want to run /sbin/lilo now? Yes
>
> Installation complete
> The CD will automatically eject. Take the CD and close the tray by hand.
> Continue
>
> The computer automatically rebooted
> The flashing ? folder is shown
>
> Won't boot into anything - just keep getting flashing folder!!!!!
>
> Press power button to turn off computer.
>
> Turn on computer and hold down option key - still nothing - just flashing
> ? folder.

Oops!
See if you can restart the install, either from CD or USB

Sorry to whoever I've stolen the following chunk from:
> I'd suggest you choose Help from the first install screen and type
> "expert" then check Ctrl+Alt+F4 (not sure what that will map to on the
Mac keyboard, maybe Ctrl+Option+F4) after the GRUB step to see the errors

For GRUB errors I really really need the logs. I bet it's looking for a
partition that you blew away earlier ;)

Definitely don't mess with LILO.

--Adam