[clug] Open Source, server based video/chat/conferencing system

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 22:11:45 MDT 2013

> On 12/08/13 17:27, Michael Manning wrote:

>> On 12/08/2013 3:18 PM, "Scott Ferguson" <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
>> <mailto:scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Anybody know of any production ready alternatives to Google
>>     Hangouts/Conversat.io/Skype

> I remember from ages ago Openmeeting ...although I think it was flash
> based and only catered for the meetings component of your
> requirements.....and has now moved over to an Apache project
>
> http://openmeetings.apache.org

Thanks for the suggestion Michael. Very much appreciated.
I've used Red5 in the past and it does have the required functionality,
maturity, and licensing.

Unfortunately it requires the users have fffflash installed...
The client has already found that flash (and Java) based solutions don't
allow all the users access to the systems they've previously tried. Some
users don't use their own devices, many have very low level computer
skills (most have low literacy). OS range from XP to iOS through Andoid,
with a few Ubuntu/Puppy/Mint users.

My experience is that with pro bono you need to be very careful to avoid
a situation where "no good turn goes unpunished" :/
i.e. requiring ffflash means taking responsibility for all the possible
things that can go wrong when someone installs and uses ffflash all the
time, or even things they may find convenient to blame on ffflash. (my
premiums are high enough already).

Definition: "users" what only two industries call clients

> <snipped>

>>     TIA

I've been looking at WebRTC/Telepresence, though I suspect the current
support for WebRTC is not suitable for this instance (also I have very
little time to test and deploy this).  WebRTC will be very good if it
isn't, um, scuttled by CU-RTC-WEB