[clug] SparkleShare vs. Dropbox

Jamie Carl jazz at funkynerd.com
Mon Apr 15 22:39:06 MDT 2013

On 16/04/13 13:24, Craig Small wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 09:51:59AM +1000, Jamie Carl wrote:
>> I've now been using ownCloud since yesterday and have officially ditched
>> both SparkleShare and Dropbox completely.  It has happily sync'd about
>> 3GB of data without a problem.  I was originally using both for
>> different purposes but ownCloud covers everything.
> I'm curious how you are using it. I assume its not for remote backup
> of files because you'd have your files on your computer and push them to
> owncloud... which is on the same computer.

I have my own 'cloud'. ;)

I'm using it to sync files between my laptop under both Linux and
windows, as well as my home workstation (linux and windows again) as
well as access files from my Android tablet and Android phone.  Might
sound excessive, but a lot of the files I sync are my photography
portfolio and I never know when or where I'll be when I need to show
them off.

That's the dropbox functionality I have replaced.  The SparkleShare
functionality is just Syncing all of my document files between computers
and OSes.

Jamie