[clug] SparkleShare vs. Dropbox

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 22:15:55 MDT 2013

On 15/04/13 12:33, Jim Croft wrote:
> Did somebody mention this? A mate in the US did it :
> http://fak3r.com/2009/09/14/howto-build-your-own-open-source-dropbox-clone/
> Tech stuff here:
> https://github.com/philcryer/lipsync

It's not quite Dropbox, but I knocked up a little program to help me
manage my digital camera photos and movies (currently around 100Gb):

https://github.com/carlohamalainen/checker

I treat a directory on my laptop as a one-way archive. The program uses
md5sum to compute checksums.

Compute missing checksums (using md5sum) and check existing checksums:

checker --computemissing <dir>
checker --checkall <dir>

List files that are missing a checksum, or checksums that don't
correspond to a file:

checker --show-locals-missing-checksum   <local dir>
checker --show-local-orphaned-checksums  <local dir>

I use s3cmd to sync the collection to Amazon S3 (just the files, not the
checksums, since S3 stores its own checksum info). So then one can find
files that are stored both locally and in S3, in the local directory but
not in S3, in S3 but not locally, and finally compare checksums:

checker --show-in-both                    <s3 url> <local path>
checker --show-in-local-but-not-s3        <s3 url> <local path>
checker --show-in-s3-but-not-local        <s3 url> <local path>
checker --check-checksums-local-vs-s3     <s3 url> <local path>

I figure this will cover me against bitrot in metadata and data in my
master copy, S3, and external USB drives.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net