[clug] What do people use for Virtualisation at home?

David Schoen dave at lyte.id.au
Tue Apr 2 17:13:06 MDT 2013

On 2 April 2013 15:06, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> I'm guessing a good number of you run VM systems on your home Linux,
> would you care to comment on what works and what doesn't??
>
> Or just talk about "Why I use what I use".

I use a lot of VirtualBox via Vagrant (http://www.vagrantup.com/) for
consistent and portable VMs that can easily be consistently
reprovisioned on other machines I work on or friends/colleagues
machines.

I use LXC a lot for very thin virtualisation (similar to OpenVZ).

With Vagrant 1.1 having been released the underlying hypervisor is no
longer pinned to VirtualBox (e.g.
https://github.com/fgrehm/vagrant-lxc is fairly usable now, which
fortunately completely deprecates my attempt
https://github.com/neerolyte/vagueant) so if you're prepared to either
put up with parts of VirtualBox being non-free for now or use a very
new (but theoretically stable) version of Vagrant - I'd strongly
recommend not worrying too much about a specific hypervisor and just
trying to put any VMs that you expect to rebuild again at any point in
the future in a Vagrant provisioner, then just backup/version control
the spec.

Cheers,
Dave