[clug] SSD drives and lots of writes

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Mon Sep 24 03:45:06 MDT 2012

Hi Alex

> > I have had SSDs run out of writes on me.
> > Admittedly that was one of the things I was intending to measure,
> > but I was using it in a desktop not a server environment.

> What were you doing? Where these early model disks (eg pre-2000) or
> something more recent?

2009 or thereabouts, IIRC.
Linux desktop - doing browser stuff, some file editing, bzr repo stuff, compiling.
It was of course an earlier generation SSD, but not that ancient.

On the other hand, I put OCZs in a laptop, and it's still going fine a few years later.
The laptop SSD I prepped and also tuned the filesystem and OS to behave more properly for the SSD. And another brand, later model, etc.

I'd say it's definitely beneficial to do the proper preparation and tuning - at least it won't hurt and just takes a bit of time. less hassle in the long run, probably.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com) MySQL services