[clug] VOIP handset phones for home

Jamie Carl jazz at funkynerd.com
Tue Sep 4 16:56:17 MDT 2012

On 04/09/12 18:59, Andrew Janke wrote:
> Get this:
>
>    http://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/
>
> Don't walk, run to Google Play.  I find it to be ace.  "Just works"
> (TM), even has pre-config for most VoIP providers in Oz.

Whlie SIP apps on your android phone are great in theory, sadly in
practice they are a pain in the @$$.  Having had much experience with
this, you'll quickly find that the battery on your phone will get minced.

For a home phone solution, a dedicated SIP phone like the Gigasets or,
as Miles mentioned, even the Fritz boxes with DECT support, are the way
to go. As they are 'just phones' they don't waste battery power on doing
other unnecessary things and will last on standby much longer.

The Android SIP apps will work fine, but you'll find that living with
them on a daily bases to be more trouble than they're worth, especially
if you have other members of your household that still think Androids
are from the movies and SIP is something they do to their Chai Lattes.

/2c

Jamie