[clug] Declining attendance? (cloud)

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 18:58:39 MDT 2012

On 15/10/12 11:29, Andrew Janke wrote:
>> I am frustrated daily by the capture of my personal data in very
>> useful cloud computing services where it is hard to access, migrate, and
>> may cost ridiculous sums for "premium" services, etc.

>> Furthermore, my data
>> is now vulnerable to the changing whims of the service provider

A commonly stated, and real, fear.
Unless you run your own server - and write all your own code you'll
always be subject to provider limitations. I suspect it bites more when
people see someone making money, at what they perceive as as their
expense (and yet they pay to wear clothes with prominent manufacturer
labels - go figure)
Wait until all the tubes lead to the NBN then see how shoes that pinch
compare to no feet. :-/

On a less serious note a graphical, somewhat light-hearted,
representation of the risks of "cloud":-
http://103.1.185.162/cloud/cloud.html
(IP instead of domain as I don't like to plug my business on lists).

> +1  (says yet another poster with a gmail address).
>
> So quick! go write me an "opencloud" style thing that has a credible
> alternative to gmail+google drive+google calendar that I can run from
> home or from my own machine at home (let's call it a "fog", it's a
> cloud in genesis) or on a machine somewhere out there that I pay
> for...

True. I use them too.
Though for email I "try" and get people to understand that encryption is
not about the guilty having something to hide anymore than curtains or
trousers are. One the other hand I appreciate that Google is a business,
and ultimately their shareholder demand a profit from the services they
provide.

> what if I say please?
>
> with sugar on top?

:-)