[clug] GNOME 3 in trouble according to El reg. True or a beat up?

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 14 15:40:50 MST 2012

Chris et al,

Thanks for the prompt reply however, it didn't work on all windows. I
did find a solution though at URL:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=01745399b652077325b731cd4c12fae5&p=11914985#post11914985

Apparently, because I'm using an EeePC, I need to switch off the
'Maximus' daemon on startup. This is what worked:

Go to

System Tools => Preferences => Startup Applications

and uncheck the 'Maximus' daemon so it doesn't run. Close the Startup
Applications GUI.

Then in a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and start the gconf-editor by typing on
the command line:

gconf-editor

In the resulting GUI I searched for 'show_maximized_titlebars'. IE. Edit
=> Find, enter in the 'Search for:' input box  show_maximized_titlebars,
check all the boxes and select the 'Find' button.  Click on the result
that shows /apps/metacity/general/show_maximized_titlebars and check the
checkbox next to the 'show_maximized_titlebars' entry.

This works and I'm very happy to have an interface where I can minimise,
maximise and close the application via buttons in the top left-hand
corner of the window.

I'm sure that this could have been done using the command line but
switching off the 'Maximus' startup application was the clincher.

Thanks to all who gave wonderful advice.

John