[clug] GNOME 3 in trouble according to El reg. True or a beat up?

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 03:15:37 MST 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au>wrote:

> A friend sent me this link. I was wondering if it was just a beat up or
> 'real'. Anyone know?? [I use KDE, have never like GNOME].
>
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/04/state_of_gnome/print.html>

I'm no fan of Gnome 3, but that article is a bit over the top.

>  Thus far GNOME appears to have had no such epiphany, just a slow steady
stream of distros dropping or forking the once
> popular desktop. Ubuntu has moved on to Unity, Mint continues to pull in
GNOME 3 refugees with Cinnamon. Torvalds and
> others have jumped ship for XFCE, KDE, LXDE or countless other small
desktops.

There's no need to dump a distro just because the default window manager
changes. One can install the MATE desktop (a fork of Gnome 2) on quite a
few distros:

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

Cheers,

--