[clug] GNOME 3 in trouble according to El reg. True or a beat up?

Chris Barton chris at gredil.net
Mon Nov 5 19:23:46 MST 2012

Yes, I have used Gnome 3.4, and I like it too (but I've been a user
since day 1). The first couple of weeks were a little frustrating, but
now when I use a Gnome2/Panels based distros I get really frustrated
with how slow and clunky they are. I like how quickly I can go from zero
to running applications now. I like that I don't have to plan my
workspaces. I like tapping (on the keyboard) one button and seeing
everything I'm working on, and switching between them efficiently. But
mostly I like that that it's all out-of-the-box and I don't have to
spend days tweaking. Being menu free and mouse free has become liberating.

I know no amount of rationalisation will sway WM die-hards that A is
better than B and I'm a little miffed with myself for wading into this
futile discussion. It's right up there with politics and religion. So
I'll leave it at this; I am someone who works more efficiently in Gnome
3 (and Unity isn't bad either) than old panel based stuff and, you can't
become efficient in a new WM in "a day". You need to decide with one
conceptually makes sense to you and put in a little time get used to it,
you might just find you never go back ;-)

Chris