[clug] GNOME 3 in trouble according to El reg. True or a beat up?

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 03:58:12 MST 2012

> I have until recently stayed back in the Gnome 2.xx era to avoid Gnome 3
> (and Unity) but have recently moved to Mint with Cinnamon Desktop

+1  Although in my case I have persevered with Unity for about a year
now and think I finally have bent my brain into using it. I still pine
for "the good old days" from time to time.

I have progressively whittled the amount of "de-Unityification" I do
with a new install to this:

# remove global menu. (I'm an old fart used to his ways)
apt-get remove appmenu-*
apt-get remove firefox-globalmenu indicator-appmenu thunderbird-globalmenu

# fix window button positions and focus
gconftool-2 -s /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string
menu:minimize,maximize,close
gconftool-2 -s /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode --type=string sloppy
gconftool-2 -s /apps/metacity/general/action_double_click_titlebar
--type=string toggle_shade
gconftool-2 -s /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise --type=bool false

So in my case I'd be sad to see gnome die but not write home to tell
mum. If GTK+ died I probably would write home. From my days of writing
GTK+ apps (long ago), I always shied well away from using libgnome, it
just seemed "icky".