[clug] Internet connectivity

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 1 16:19:28 MST 2012

On 01/03/12 20:44, Conrad Canterford wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 19:57 +1100, Owen wrote:
>>> Recently my internet is playing up: websites not finishing loading,
>>> IRC and IM clients continually disconnecting, etc.
>> I, and at least one other, have noticed the random failure of web
>> pages to load first time, ie, requiring a reload.
>> This seems to have only just started in the "last couple of weeks" No
>> empirical data I'm afraid.
>
> I, too, have noticed similar problems in the last little while. Also
> nothing concrete regarding time - I just remember thinking at some point
> about a week ago that I'd been having to reload pages an awful lot
> lately to get them to load. We're with Exetel. Can't say conclusively
> whether a Chrome "upgrade" happened at about the time I started to see
> issues, since I don't remember when they started.
>
> Conrad.

I tried a number of times yesterday to update my OpenStreetMaps
Australian Map data using the ANU's notorious ANU-Secure wireless
service on my Motorola Xoom Android tablet (only does 802.11
wireless). Kept on timing out at various stages through the 198MB
download, and was _very_ slow, typically about 30 mins to get about
50% of the file.

Took it home and used my TPG Naked ADSL2+ link and downloaded the
entire file in about 3 minutes (ie. around 1MByte/sec) with no problems.

Could have been the time of day. Could have been the OSM server not
being so loaded at around 7pm AEST. Could have been that the ANU-Secure
wireless service is just crappy. Could be the gubmint's Internet filter
not slowing down the web at all. Who knows. Weird, though, methinks.

Probably completely unrelated to Ivan's observations.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.