[clug] simple traffic totals sorted by IP?

Carlo Hamalainen carlo at carlo-hamalainen.net
Tue Jun 26 15:55:47 MDT 2012

On 26/06/12 21:20, Hal Ashburner wrote:
> Like say, iftop ?

Not quite. Even with "show-totals: yes" in ~/.iftoprc the behaviour is
as follows:

1. iftop -i wlan0

2. wget -c http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/test/5000meg.test

3. Wait until 500MB total is shown (this is good so far), then hit
Ctrl-C on the wget process. The 500MB total remains.

4. Wait a minute or two, restart wget, and the 500Mb total disappears
and it starts counting up from zero again.

But I want to see a cumulative total for as long as iftop runs.

The man page tells me that iftop is more about current bandwidth usage:

    iftop  listens  to  network traffic on a named interface, or
    on the first interface it can find which looks like an external
    interface if none is specified, and displays a table of current
    bandwidth usage by pairs of hosts.

Or am I missing something really obvious?

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net