[clug] Measuring residual current

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Sat Jun 23 03:43:50 MDT 2012

As a first step get a decent Multimeter that can measure AC Volts and
Mega Ohms (resistance).

Turn off the circuit in question (trip the RCD) but leave the now dead
gear connected.

Double check there is no voltage on the circuit with the multimeter on
the AC Volts range between all pins (Active, Neutral and Earth) of an
unused power point (Socket) (Make sure the power point switch is ON).

If there is any voltage present (above about 1 volt) - DO NOT Proceed to
try and measure resistance (and blow up the multimeter)

Measure Active to Earth Resistance of the DEAD circuit.

It is most probably the Active to Earth resistance that is of most
interest, however Neutral to Earth resistance may also be a factor but
can only be measured if the Neutral is also broken at the RCD breaker
(since Neutral and Earth are tied together at the main switchboard [~0
Ohms] in the MEN system)

The Active to Earth resistance should be around or above 1 Mega Ohm
If you measure 10s or 100s of kilo Ohms then you have observed the
problem.  Most general RCD's have a guaranteed residual trip current of
30 ma which equates to around 8000 ohms.

Unplug each item of equipment until you get readings back in the Mega
Ohms.  The last one you unplugged is probably the culprit.

Unfortunately if the leakage is occurring via an active switch mode PSU,
this test may not reveal the culprit, since the equipment will not be
operating with the mains supply off.  However, this test is still a
valid first test.

You could also unplug each item on the circuit and do the test at it's
plug, however measuring the entire dead circuit and unplugging stuff one
at a time will show if there are dramatic changes occurring on the
circuit.

If you have unplugged everything and it hasn't improved it will also
show if the permanent power circuit, it's self, has a fault (Damage,
Moisture or Vermin [spider / cockroach / mouse] attack).

You should not need to disassemble any power equipment to do this test.

Neil Pickford
VK1NP