[clug] Measuring residual current

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Fri Jun 22 17:26:45 MDT 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Mike Carden wrote:

> Well you could get one of these:
>
> http://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/888262/clipsal-3-pin-plug-top-safety-shiel
> d-heavy-duty-439shdtr-.html
>
> and wire the active and neutral across to one of these:
>
> http://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/888263/clipsal---rewireable-cord-extension
> -10amp-pvc-socket-438str.html
>
> and break out the earth to your trusty AC ammeter.
>
> What Could Possibly Go Wrong?  :)

Or, of course, leave out the last step (anything to do with Earth).  That
would certainly solve my immediate problems :-)

But yes, you're quite right here.  I've been thinking about this in terms
of Residual Current measuring, because it's an RCD tripping.  I expect we
have bigger problems if we are leaking current anywhere *but* to the Earth
line, so perhaps I should redirect my searches to "inline earth leakage
ammeter" or something (making up our own device as you suggest above is
probably not an option...)

> MC

Thanks,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.