[clug] database backups with git

Carlo Hamalainen carlo at carlo-hamalainen.net
Thu Jun 7 20:15:28 MDT 2012

On 08/06/12 11:46, Robert Edwards wrote:
> Anyone else use a VCS for maintaining snapshots of backup files/logs?
>
> What is the downside?

Most incremental backup tools have a way of deleting old increments
(e.g. rdiff-backup has "--remove-older-than"). How would you do this if
the target is git, where (as far as I know) the idea is to retain all
history forever?

I've always thought of VCS as a way of storing mainly text written by
humans, but then again there are projects like git-annex [1] so maybe
things are changing.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net