[clug] Windows ignores trailing spaces in URLs does it inject them?

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 19:03:11 MST 2012

On 10/12/12 12:45, Michael James wrote:
> Dear CLUGers,
>
> I just complained that a URL included in an all-staff email
>  contained a trailing space (encoded as  %20)
>  that prevented it from working on Mac.
>
>    <https://learn.company.com.au/Capabiliti/menuscript.asp%20>
>
> But it does work on Windows, clicks through fine.
>
> So Windows is primed to ignore random garbage in a URL.
>
> Am I being paranoid wondering if it injects/fails to prune
>  certain garbage to trip up other systems?
>
> Anyone else in this (self) select crowd seen anything similar?
>
> michael

I suspect you're referring to an internal link. If so what is happening
is that Windoof can't cope with longer links (truncating) - hence it's
ability to deal with them (if that makes sense).  Mac and other 'nixes
don't have the same path limitations so they treat truncated links
literally - and will never find the matching URI.

Kind regards