[clug] [OT] all text passwords == secure?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Mon Aug 27 05:54:47 MDT 2012

Hal Ashburner <hal.ashburner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll bite.
> How do i create or choose a secure password? All this reading of this
> discussion among people with clue(tm) and I've missed the consensus...

Use a password locker. I use KeepAss. I mean KeePass. Open source, works
on Linux, Windows, Android, that's all I care about.

For generating a master password for the password locker, Diceware.

> I hate that web rejection for 'you can't use that password it needs a cap,
> a number and punctuation and can only be 8 letters long.' Banks...

Banks are a good example of how to spend a lot of money to get security
really wrong. They've been doing it wrong for decades and seem to have
no interest in breaking the habit. Look at how poorly cheques, credit
cards and direct deposit are secured, then you won't be surprised that
online banking is all kinds of messed up.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au